Thursday, January 5, 2017

Do not be afraid - I am God Almighty

Read Genesis 35:9-20

“… from the voice of God to a baby’s cry and a mother’s last words.” From Warren Wiersbe Be Authentic

God appeared to Jacob and blessed him, and gave him a new name, Israel. "I am God Almighty and a nation and a company of nations shall spring from you (from Reuben to Benjamin - twelve sons, twelve tribes), and kings shall spring from you (David and Jesus)."

The midwife said, “Do not be afraid you will have another son.” As her soul was departing (for she died) she named her son Ben-o-ni which Jacob changed to Benjamin. Springing from Rachel's hard travail to Jacob's right hand.

Rachel, the beloved of Jacob, bore him two sons. Joseph, whose brothers would betray him and sell him into slavery and tell his father he died. Benjamin, who would be the ransom for his brothers' sins and through whom Joseph would repay those brothers with kindness and salvation from famine and death.



We never know how our story will be written. 

But, when we accept the free gift of salvation purchased through the death cry of his one and only Son, Jesus, God blesses each of us with a new name, “Christian."

Do not be afraid, your pain can also bring others to the foot of the cross. 

Prayer: Father, may I take joy in your call to not be afraid. May I take joy in the life I am called to live through the love of your son, Jesus. May I rejoice in each soul, known and unknown, that see you and recognize your love and salvation through my pain and my living out of my faith, no matter what tomorrow may hold. May your Son-rise shine down on the earth and bring peace among us. Bring me finally to Heaven to eternally sing your glory and love. Amen

"No Filter Needed" photo by Kiri Strouse, Williamston, South Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment